At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world’s largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter – fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Great technology needs great people! Are you an experienced business analyst looking to provide an integrated engineering platform managing some of the world’s most complex equipment used by thousands of engineers and technicians? Are you interested in a career in an exciting international environment at the forefront of modern science? Then join an ambitious and dynamic team of engineers and IT professionals, take part!
CERN provides and supports software solutions for the engineering community. We develop and maintain CERN’s Product Lifecycle Management systems (PLM) to manage design data and technical documentation for the entire Organization. We are now in a challenging project to replace the existing landscape of silo applications by a single modern PLM platform. In addition, we provide software solutions for Enterprise Asset Management as well as multi-CAD system support on a CERN-wide basis. This integrated set of tools contains information about millions of equipment components. In total, over 10’000 users depend on the software provided by the group.
As a CAD and PLM engineer you will be a key member of the CAD Service team providing CERN’s engineering design community with a wide range of applications in an integrated engineering data management environment.
- Provide CAD and PLM users with technical expertise and advice, disseminating best practices and resolving problems in the areas of CAD data management, methodologies and PLM tools;
- Exchange with key-users to formulate application requirements, develop design specifications, high-level data and process models;
- Elaborate and document new working procedures and contribute to training of the CAD user community;
- Configure CAD and PLM tools according to the Organisation’s needs, processes and standards;
- Play an active role in the continuous effort of improving both the services and tools provided.
Master’s degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of mechanical, electrical or computing engineering or a related field.
- Professional experience in using one or more mechanical CAD tools (CATIA, Creo, Siemens NX, etc.);
- Professional experience using at least one major PLM platform (e.g. Dassault 3DExperience, PTC Windchill, Siemens TeamCenter, Aras, etc.);
- Demonstrated interest in providing user support and building user relations;
- Initial experience in requirements definition and management.
The following experience would be an asset:
- Experience working with different types of CAD tools (incl. BIM) in a multi-CAD environment;
- Business Intelligence / Database Querying (SQL) / Reporting;
- Working with Scripting language.
- Capturing and analysis of requirements for ICT systems: business Analysis;
- Production of 2D drawings and 3D models: cATIA V5 or equivalent CAD tool for 3D & 2D technical drawing;
- Problem management;
- Product Lifecycle Management.
- Communicating Effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point;
- Working in Teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities Contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues;
- Learning and Sharing Knowledge: creating or participating in forums to exchange experience, comparing techniques and learn from others Sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer;
- Solving Problems: assimilating large quantities of information, identifying key issues and formulating conclusions clearly and concisely;
- Managing Self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting Taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
Spoken and written French or English: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN’s mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 12 midday CET on 08.06.2022.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization;
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: EN-IM-PLM-2022-50-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Engineer