Senior Business Analyst (3 positions available) job with FLINDERS UNIVERSITY
Our bold vision, captured in our Strategic Plan: making a Difference: The 2025 Agenda, is to be internationally recognised as a world leader in research, an innovator in contemporary education, and the source of Australia’s most enterprising graduates.
To realise this ambition, we recently made a significant organisation change to a six College structure with a professional staff and services alignment.
We recognise the key to our success is exceptional people and we’re seeking an outstanding individual to join the team of our transformed university.
Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
3 positions available
Fixed-term, full-time available until 31 December 2021
Higher Education Officer Level 8
$98,466 – $109,009 pa
Associate Director, Digital Research Services
The Senior Business Analyst is accountable for a wide range of business analysis and project implementation support activities focused on enhancing IT systems, applications, and services, in support of the University’s teaching delivery and research objectives.
In addition, the Senior Business Analyst is responsible for the management, support and maintenance of research applications and the integration components between applications including those that are commercial-off-the shelf (COTS), and Software as a Service (SaaS) products.
Key Position Responsibilities
The Senior Business Analyst is accountable for a wide range of business analysis and project implementation support activities focused on enhancing IT systems, applications and services, in support of the University’s teaching delivery and research objectives.
Within this broad context, the position’s key responsibilities include:
- Responsibility for the full range of business analysis activities including process modelling, effectively analysing, developing and documenting business requirements, testing and system specifications to support the development and improvement of information systems.
- Conducting high-level analytical investigations to develop effective strategies, undertaking feasibility studies and documenting business, user and technical requirements and preparing a wide range of documents to support the development of project and information system improvement initiatives.
- Developing or contributing to the development of business cases which clearly define business objectives, potential benefits, options for achieving the benefits through the development of new processes and systems, and providing financial information to support investment decisions.
- Effectively utilising established modelling analysis tools and methods to define requirements and processes, resulting in complete and correct functional, non-functional and service-related requirements documentation.
- During project development, taking responsibility for requirements management and communication, including managing conflicts, issues and changes and ensuring that stakeholders and the project team remain in agreement on the solution scope and priorities.
- Contributing to regular project quality reviews and risk management assessments.
- During project implementation, undertaking a wide range of service transition activities including transition planning and support, change management, asset and configuration management, release and deployment management, service validation and testing, user training and support, and knowledge management.
- Leading the design of solutions by analysing requirements, offering solution options, and liaising with stakeholders to validate solutions.
- Providing technical and process analysis advice to stakeholders, project steering committees and key end users.
- Responding to any customer, supplier, and vendor enquiries to help resolve errors, requests for access and changes; responding to service disruptions; providing instruction on how to use applications; and handling complaints.
- Assessing the impact of changes and upgrades, including identifying scope of changes, relationships between changes, assessing consequences for the operational environment.
- Registering, updating and documenting the configuration of applications, ensuring versions are managed and the implications of configuration changes are understood.
- Any other responsibilities in line with the level of the role as assigned by the Supervisor and/or the University.
Key Position Capabilities
- A degree in computer science, business technology or other relevant qualifications; or an equivalent combination of experience and/or education and/or training.
- Relevant and current industry certifications in business analysis or substantial relevant experience in formal Business Analyst roles in IT projects, and an ability to demonstrate a comprehensive range of well- developed business analysis competencies.
- Substantial experience in the application of a range of business analysis techniques, frameworks, and tools, along with a strong appreciation of improvement methodologies and concepts such as Agile, Lean and Design Thinking.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute strongly in project teams to deliver projects successfully, including strong interpersonal and relationship management skills and the ability to elicit business requirements effectively.
- Demonstrated experience working in cross functional self-organising teams using Agile frameworks.
- Experience in contributing to the development of business cases, cost benefit analyses and budgets for large and/or highly complex IT projects.
- A proven ability to write clear, concise, and accurate technical, systems and user documentation.
- Strong interpersonal influencing and communication ability with staff and stakeholders across a diverse organisation, particularly during the design, management, and implementation of business projects.
- Experience in successfully utilising effective change management principles and processes to support the successful implementation of projects.
- Excellent written communication, analytical and oral presentation skills.
- An ability to identify opportunities to leverage emerging technologies to meet the accelerating demand for innovative IT solutions to support teaching delivery and research collaboration.
- Proven capability and experience in supervision of small teams and mentoring of less experienced Business Analysts.
- Demonstrated ability to support and maintain Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) applications and Software as a Service (SaaS) applications.
- A postgraduate qualification in computer science, business information systems, a business discipline or other relevant area.
- Relevant industry certification and training (such as CBAP, AgileBA, CSM, CPO, Lean).
- Specific competencies and experience in Organisational Change Management projects.
- Sound user training and application support skills
For application enquiries please contact: Ms Lumai Tingey
Pursuant to Child Safety (Prohibited Persons) Act 2016 (SA) this position has been deemed prescribed. It is an inherent requirement of the position that the successful candidate maintains a current Working With Children Check which is satisfactory to the University.
Information for Applicants: You are required to provide a suitability statement of no more than three pages, addressing the key capabilities of the position as outlined above. In addition, you are required to upload your CV.
A valid National Police Certificate which is satisfactory to the University will also be required before the successful applicant can commence in this position.
We are seeking to increase the diversity to improve equal opportunity outcomes for employees, and therefore we encourage female applicants, people with a disability and/or from Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islanders descent to apply.
Please note, late applications and applications sent via agencies will not be accepted.
Applications Close 11:59pm:
17 Jan 2021